February 09, 2008

Kansas Republican caucus

This morning I participated in the Kansas Republican presidential caucus.  This is the first time in my 22 years of living here that Kansas has had a presidential primary or caucus.  Even though John McCain already has an insurmountable lead in delegates, my fellow Republicans turned out in large numbers to vote for their preferred nominee.  My caucus site was prepared for 250 people.  It appeared to me that more than 1,000 came out. 

People began lining up outside the community center on this chilly morning more than an hour before the caucus started.

Waiting for the caucus

The cool thing about a caucus is that "electioneering" (openly displaying support for a candidate near or within the polling place) is not only permitted, it is actually encouraged.  In line I saw a young Huckabee supporter with a hand-made sign.

Young Huckabee supporter

She was still holding up her sign when we got into the meeting room.

In the caucus

Ron Paul supporters also made themselves known.

Signs-in-the-caucus-web

Because the room would hold only 250, the caucus chairperson decided to allow people to cast their ballots and not stay for the meeting.  That was the right decision.  As you might imagine, there was a lot of talk about making sure the Kansas legislature approves a primary in 2012.  I'm pretty sure Republicans and Democrats will agree on that next time!

If you're curious, I voted for Huckabee although I harbor no illusions that he will be the nominee or that he would be electable this cycle if he did win the nomination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics :)

Andrew Conard